Yogurt-Filled Crepes with Apple and Cranberry Compote
Cranberries aren’t just for sauce! They make a lovely tart companion for apples, and add a burst of bright color to crepes. Filled with a sweetened yogurt (or splurge with sweet whipped cream!) these crepes would make a lovely dessert. Leave them less sweet, and they’re perfect for brunch.
Makes 12 crepes
For the crepes:
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 eggs
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely diced shallots
- 1½ cups (6¾ounces) all-purpose flour
For the compote:
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3-4 apples (Granny Smith or other baking apples), peeled, cored, and cut in bite-size cubes
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the assembly:
- 12 crepes
- About 3 cups of Greek-style yogurt, plain or flavored
- Apple cranberry compote
To make the crepes:
- Combine all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you can combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. If it seems lump, strain to remove errant flour lumps. Refrigerate the mixture for at least an hour. You can make this well ahead of time, if desired.
- Heat the crepe pan until a drop of water skips across the surface of the pan. Add a small amount of vegetable oil, then wipe it with a paper towel.
- Add about ¼ cup of batter to the center of the pan, then tilt and swirl it so that you have a thin layer of batter covering the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the crepe until it’s set and opaque and here are a few browned spots on the bottom. The crepe doesn’t need to be flipped to cook on the second side, but you can do so if you like.
- Stack the finished crepes on a rack or plate. You can make these right before they’re needed, or refrigerate them and reheat just before serving.
To make the compote:
- Combine the sugar, water, salt and apples in a saute pan and cook until the apples begin to soften. Add the cranberries and continue cooking until the cranberries burst. Add the vanilla, stir to combine, and take off the heat.
- This can be served warm or cold.
To assemble the crepes:
- If you need to reheat the crepes, just warm them one at a time, briefly, in the crepe pan.
- Place a warm crepe on a plate and spread about ¼ cup of yogurt (or more, if you like), on half of the crepe. Fold the uncovered half over the yogurt, then fold the crepe in half again to make a triangle.
- Top the crepe with ⅓ cup (or as desired) of the apple cranberry compote. Serve.
Snap a photo of your dish and tag us on Instagram @meyerlabs
#MEYER #HomeCooking #DeliciousIdeas