Spicy Tteokbokki Carbonara
With winter rolling in, we’re finding ourselves craving some comfort and warmth in the kitchen. Born from the Korean street food scene, Tteokbokki, stir-fried rice cakes, are a real treat for those cooler months. Their chewy and fulfilling nature, and just how easy they are to whip up makes them an instant home cooked favorite. Move over instant noodles!
Step up your tteokbokki with a simple yet creamy, fiery sauce. Merge tteokbokki, a classic kitchen staple in Korea, and spaghetti carbonara, a classic western pasta and you’ve got a fusion winner. While the indulgent sauce is balanced with the lightness of vegetables, the level of spice and ingredients can be adapted, so this recipe can be easily tweaked to keep every member of the family’s taste buds happy!
This spicy tteokbokki will spice up your life and leave you wanting more. Make it Korean night and pair it with soju!
Star tip: Add chilli flakes for a kicker or alternatively, for a milder taste, add 3.5oz / 100g of shredded cheese on top.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (less if you prefer)
- 2 strips of bacon, chopped
- 5-6 mushrooms, sliced
- ½ bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup / 200ml cream or milk (or ½ cup cream and ½ cup milk)
- ½ pound / 227 grams tteokbokki
- 5-6 broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 heaping tbsp gochujang
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped (optional)
- Additional cheese on top (optional)
- Add butter to a pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for a couple of minutes until fragrant. Increase the heat a little bit and add bacon. Let it cook until it starts to brown, a few minutes.
- Once the bacon has browned a bit, add mushrooms and let them soak up the butter and garlic.
- Add bell pepper and let it all cook for a couple of minutes.
- Soak tteokbokki in water until it’s soft.
- Add milk mixture and tteokbokki.
- Add broccoli.
- Let the cream sauce thicken a bit. Add parmesan cheese to the sauce and let it cook a little while longer until tteokbokki is cooked well.
- Lastly, add gochujang and mix well.
- Garnish with green onion and additional cheese on top if you like.
Our Accent Series 10.25 inch Ultra-durable Nonstick Skillet is perfect for this recipe. The skillet’s tall side walls can keep in all the saucy goodness while its surface can handle a large amount of food at the same time!
If you’ve got more people to feed, double up on the ingredients and go with our 11 inch Ultra-Durable Nonstick Skillet.
Cook up this fiery dish and tag us on Instagram! @meyerlabs
#MEYER #HomeCooking #DeliciousIdeas