Pad Thai Tacos
Let’s taco about this real quick! 🌮 Ever have meal decision paralysis? You’re craving spicy, they’re wanting tangy; you’re craving savory, they’re wanting refreshing — and this can go on and on. Life is short, so we’re here to fix this. Truly sent from heaven, Pad Thai Tacos are a glorious mash up that combines two popular cuisines so you don't have to choose (you’re welcome!).
Taking us on a culinary adventure from Thailand to Mexico, Pad Thai Tacos are an unexpectedly delicious duo. While you can substitute the filling of your choice, meat or veg, the distinctive Pad Thai flavors of peanuts, garlic, tamarind, fish sauce, and lime are mandatory! Wrapped in a tortilla with charred chicken and mushrooms, and doused in a sweet, tangy sauce, it’s a pocket of goodness you never knew you were craving. Ingredients can be changed up to suit your taste buds — think shrimp, tofu, fish — the options are endless!
Star tip: To kick it up a notch, add a dash of shrimp paste and smell the goodness. Making a regular appearance in Asian dishes, shrimp paste accentuates what you have already, and adds a rich, savory depth to the flavors!
- 2 cups peanuts
- 1 cup garlic cloves
- 2 fresh Thai chilis
- 1 cup canola oil
- ¼ can of tamarind
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ ounce dried shrimp
- ⅕ cup granulated sugar
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, julienned, plus for garnish
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- ½ bunch coriander
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- Fish sauce, to taste
- Pan fry the peanuts, garlic, and chilis in ¼ cup of the canola oil until browned.
- Add the tamarind, lime juice, dried shrimp, sugar, and remaining ¾ cup canola oil in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Cook the chicken thighs in a nonstick pan and sauté with ½ cup of pureed Pad Thai sauce. Put aside.
- Pan fry the mushrooms and green onions with ¼ cup of the sauce. Put aside.
- Scramble the eggs with two tablespoons of the sauce. Put aside.
- Mix in the chicken, mushroom mixture, and eggs, and cook together, adding a few dashes of fish sauce to taste. (If you’re not familiar with fish sauce, go easy and taste as you go! It’s powerful stuff.)
- Heat the tortillas on a pan until warm. Fill them with the Pad Thai filling.
- Top with green onions and coriander. Serve!
Our Accent Series Ultra-Durable Nonstick Stirfry is perfect for Pad Thai Tacos. The pan’s curved shape is nice and spacious, and also prevents the oil from splattering out during cooking. Best of all: what really helps bring out the flavors of the filling is the concavity of the bottom surface, which actually holds the oil in the middle, concentrating that flavor-developing magic where you need it most.
Taco about yum! How would your Pad Thai Tacos look? Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram @meyerlabs
#MEYER #HomeCooking #TacoTuesday #DeliciousIdeas